Original Medicare has gaps or holes in its coverage leaving you with a hefty amount of out-of-pocket costs. No need to worry because there is a type of insurance that will cover the gaps and bridge your coverage, so you won’t have to shed much money on healthcare expenses. You can have a Medicare supplement plan, commonly known as Medigap plan, to go along with your Medicare which has ten standardized plan to choose from. Now the question is, what is the best supplemental insurance to have with Medicare if you are going to choose among the ten types of plans. Here’s how we can help you with that.
The Medicare Supplement Plans
Finding the best type of Medigap plan can be tricky. There are ten Medigap plans offered in the market. Each plan is standardized regardless of the insurance provider or location where you get the benefit. The different types of plans offer different levels of benefits and can’t be canceled because of health reasons, that is as long as you pay your monthly premiums.
Before finding the best type of Medigap plan, you should know first if it is right for you. It is important that you did your research and had fully understood everything about Medicare Supplement plans. Failing to do so might lead you to the wrong kind of plan.
Choosing The Best Medicare Supplement Insurance
Choosing can be tricky and downright confusing. Of all the ten plans, you have to choose only one. To help you with that, FreeMedSuppQuotes has compressed the process into five easy ways to guide you to choose the best one.
1. Look at your health status and medical history. Base your coverage needs in your medical history. Since plans don’t differ that greatly, this method can help you sort out what you only need.
- Compare plans side by side. Use an updated version of comparison chart in comparing the plans. Using the chart can help you easily see the benefits that each of the Medigap plans provides.
- Request and check Medicare Supplement quotes. Obtain quotes from the various insurance companies offering Medigap in your area. You can request one online or call each companies to get their prices. Through quotes, see which company offers the best deal in your chosen type of plan. Remember: all Medigap policies with the same letter must cover the exact same benefits. Therefore it is not practical to opt for the most expensive ones.
- Choose the pricing method. Medigap insurance providers offer different methods how they set premiums for Medigap plans. Choose one carefully as it will determine your premiums not just today but also in the future. Take time to do the math.
- Take note of your enrollment period. Medigap open enrollment period starts the moment you turn 65 years old and is already enrolled in Medicare Part B. It last for six months and comes only once in your lifetime. If you miss this period, you will also miss the guaranteed issue rights benefit where insurers can’t refuse you or charge you more because of a pre-existing condition.
Using the method shared above, the best supplemental insurance that you should have with your Medicare is not based on what is trending, best selling, or what works with your best friend or someone but should be based on your personal needs.